Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 Remembered

I remember where I was when I got the call that the World Trade Center had been hit. I was working hard, putting in electricity and installing a floor so we would have a well lit, spacious storage area.

It was hot work. I'm not sure what made us answer the phone but when we did, we became cold to the core.

It truly was one of the few life-changing experiences of my life. A memory that will last a lifetime. Inconceivable, yet it happened.

As I reflect back on that day, I know more than ever that Peace, Understanding and Compassion are more important than any one belief--whether that is political or religious.

There is so much more that unites us than separates us. A few months later my mother was called to action by the Red Cross. She worked at Ground Zero and helped people get back some sense of normalcy in their lives. She was struck at the outpouring of support and love that she felt while she was there. Even out of great tragedy and loss, the human spirit of generosity and kindness still prevails.

Tomorrow I'll talk about a specific exercise to help us increase our level of compassion. For today, let's honor those who lost their lives, those who survived and helped, and keep a place of peace in our hearts for all people. By being peace in ourselves we offer the best opportunity for peace to be here on earth.

No comments: