Friday, November 7, 2008

Life and Death

A family friend died yesterday morning.

I feel quite grateful that I got to see her less than 2 weeks ago.

She lived next door to my mother, and as I was visiting my mom for her birthday I got a chance to get in a quick visit with this vibrant lady.

She was diagnosed with cancer just this summer while I was out helping my mom rebound from hip replacement surgery.

To be honest, I thought she had it licked.

For whatever reason, she did not. I was feeling pretty sad about it.

Well this morning in the wee hours I had a dream (?) and she came to me and let me know that she was alright.

Funny, I never had any of these dreams after my father died. Maybe I did and perhaps I was in too deep of mourning to be able to receive them.

Anyway, in the dream I saw her and gave her a big hug. Other people were there and gave me the strangest look, because of course there was "no one" there. I was surprised and looked around and she was gone. Then I realized that she was dead so I could not have possibly hugged her...so I asked everyone else "who did I just hug?" I KNEW I had hugged a living breathing person--I could feel her.

I like that idea--we can hug and love people and feel their presence now and in the future. Maybe tonight I'll be able to give my dad another hug.

No comments: