Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Learning to Not Push Rope

Pushing rope is a phrase I picked up because it so simply describes when we are working too hard at making something happen rather than allowing it to unfold at the right time.

Today I had moments of allowing and other moments of pushing a big heavy rope! The good news is that I was aware of the rope and was then able to sit back and change my thoughts and methods. Fortunately when I was not aware I had someone around who gently brought it to my attention.

Deadlines are a prime time when most of us push rope. When we just "gotta get it done" staying calm and even can sometimes be a challenge.

If you find that you are facing a deadline and you realize you are "pushing rope", take a break. I know that you think in the moment you cannot possibly take that break--there is far too much to get done, right. Take the break anyway. Breathe deep and get centered. Do what you need to do to find your inner peace and energy. When you go back to the project you were working on, keep that feeling with you. You will be more productive and get more done, at a higher level than you would have if you had just stayed manning the rope station.

Relax. You get more done.

No comments: